Tuesday, September 3, 2013

Two Groups of People



There are two groups of people that I have come to love and each time have a harder time saying goodbye to. 

One group I shared with you in a previous post, the individuals that make up the church in Massama.  (See the sardine BBQ post.)  Because it is August and many of the Portuguese people take vacation either the entire month or at least several weeks during this month, the group was small.  The people go and come back as the month of August progresses.    

Massama  Sunday service

Pastor J


Massama 


O, sharing from the
Word






Worship and fellowship together was warm and sincere as they gathered each Sunday afternoon.  Working together and meeting together throughout the week binds this group tightly. 

On this trip I had the wonderful experience to learn to know R a bit better.  She is a young woman – a wife and mother of two teen boys – and a true servant in the church and in her community.  R speaks only Portuguese with a few words of English.  My heart was drawn to hers as we worked side by side several days on a project of the church.  Her love and worship of her Lord is evident to all she is in contact with.  Thank you R, for enriching and blessing my life so!  I look forward to our next time together. 



R and myself - Portuguese and English Bibles open together

The other group of people are the individuals that together make up the church in Loures.  Many of these lovely people we have known since our first trip to Portugal years ago. They have warmly welcomed us into their midst and lives.  They always greet us with smiles and “beijos e abracos” (kisses and hugs) and want to know when we will be back.  Their worship is joyful and energetic and fellowship is affectionate and authentic
 each week. 

Loures Worship service



Baby dedication at Loures

Pastor M



Both groups are distinct, both are warm and welcoming, and both seek to share their love to God with others. 

Sundays as we spent one last time together, I again realize that there is a wonderful familiarity, genuineness and love that I will miss.  I look forward to seeing those I know when we return and also those I have yet to meet. 

I can’t end without expressing my gratitude to O & M, two people who spend countless hours and days loving and giving to the people of Portugal.  All that know O & M respect and love them deeply.  We are honored to call them “friends”! 

Muito obrigada, O & M!!!

O & M




No comments:

Post a Comment